Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fellow Builders

Well in the layover between placing my order for the plans and waiting their arrival I continue to research and participate in discussion groups. The wait for these plans is killing me. I have spoken to a couple of others who are involved in building Tideway's of their own and the consensus is pretty similar - shes just a beautiful little boat.

I spoke to a nice gentlemen in Texas via email and the wooden boat forum who's also gearing up to build a Tideway. He's mocked up a small paper model at 10:1 scale of the hull, and that can be seen in the photo at the right, and there are more photos here. Impressive lines. I really like the design of this little boat. He too will be starting relatively soon, so we hope to be able to trade stories and tips. Support is great among boat builders! I really enjoy all of the great tips I'm getting along the way.

Talk and speculation continues over making a true coastal journey in the little Tideway. I've been thinking and planning of ways I might be able to upgrade her to ready her for coastal voyages. I mentioned earlier in the blog that I'd like to put in around LA, or SOCAL in general and sail along the Pacific Coast up to Seattle or maybe down south along Baja. When building begins I'll detail mods I have made to accommodate a single sailer on long journeys. I am relying on the calculations that indicate she's a stable and comfortable sail, based on hull dims and displacement. Let's hope those prove to be true.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm the guy in the red shirt, pictured on your site's slideshow. I tried building this boat during my undergrad years in an art program. It should be a fairly quick build, if you've got the space and resources! I didn't plan out my project sufficiently and overreached. My boat's only voyage was a slow, painful winching of the bare hull into an enormous dumpster, but this is no fault of the design! The details and table of offsets provided in the plans are excellent, and should be more than sufficient to yield a lovely shape. I made a card stock model as well, and it was only more heartbreaking to have that lovely shape around when I failed to finish building the real thing. Best of luck, and please let us know how she sails! I've never seen photos of a completed example.