Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Grand Scheme

As I sit in my home in Boulder I often wonder what made the world what it is today. Early explorers come to the Americas on sailing vessels in search of new found prosperity and trade routes. Coastal explorers sailed into every bay and estuary mapping the bounds of the world.

Why then can I not explore?

It may be some primal urge, but to explore is my destiny. To fashion a vessel from my two hands and lumber felled in these great United States, this is my dream.

Reality Check: I am just an ordinary guy, with an ordinary job, living the ordinary life. What means do I have to explore this great Earth? Relatively little. If I am to fulfil my destiny, I'll have to think on a smaller scale.

About a year ago, I found solice and enjoyment in browsing through boat design catalogs at the library, and online. I found the designs of Paul Fisher of England to be quite enjoyable, mostly because of their easy construction methods and clean lines. In keeping with the Selway-Fisher method, I chose a design that could easily be constructed in the confines of a two-car suburban garage.

That is when I fell in love with the Tideway 14..

No comments: