Monday, July 21, 2008

Plywood and Coastal Sailing.

Well I have been doing a lot of reading in newsgroups and how-to websites about choosing the right plywood for a stitch and glue boat.

There are the obvious concerns, such as quality, weight, workability, etc. However, being COMPLETELY landlocked in Colorado, it is proving quite difficult to find a reliable source for marine-grade ply. I have checked out a few mom-and-pop lumberyards, as well as the big-box home improvement warehouses and am coming up relatively dry.

I have heard and read that luan plywood can be used, and I have priced it out at a few different places. The quality is surprisingly high, and grain seems to be adequate. Home Depot sells luan in the standard 1/4" size and a 1/2" as well. Both sides of the sheet look nice and it's well priced at $13.00 per sheet. I still don't know how many sheets i'll be needing for the Tideway but if I can rely on luan for hull construction I think it will suffice.

I have read things regarding checking and voids. Obviously, only the pick of the litter luan would be going into my Tideway, and numerous coats of system 3 epoxy would be applied. I don't know if the plans call for fiberglass cloth, but it will certainly be incorporated into my project, as durability will be essential if i'm to be trailering this boat and sailing in some of the "unpredicable" waters of the Rocky Mountain lakes and reserviors.

---------------

The other thing I wanted to mention....

I have been researching coastal sailing and have found a lot of great stories out there on the web of people sailing small coastal cruisers up and down the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. I've been daydreaming about sailing this little boat up the Pacific coast. If properly trailered, she could be towed down to Los Angeles, or Santa Barbara and sailed up the coast to the Bay Area, or even Portland/Seattle.

This is something that I'll be considering when building her, as I would want to make accomidations and upgrades that she might need for an 800 mile round trip sail up and down the coast. Safety features are an obvious must, and since she's got such a large displacement to size ratio, she aught to be quite stable and comfortable.

Again, daydreaming........ who knows?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of people don't like using luan plywood on boats. I remember one quote that said "don't use luan ply on any boat which you intend to come in contact with water."

However, I built my hull-sides out of the stuff. and it's holding up well with no coating other than oil paint. With an epoxy coat it should do well, even better with a glassing. Make sure you at least epoxy the inside too. Allow no uncoated wood anywhere.

Justin Matthews said...

Thank for the encouraging words. I recently found that a guy in my neighborhood is a professional cabinetmaker, and can get me deals on all sorts of great hardwoods, veneers, and plywoods. He gave me a piece of African mahogany, what a beautiful grain! I might find a use for it.

About the luan. I think a few coats of epoxy and fiberglass on the exterior as well as 2-3 coats of epoxy on the inside will probably do. I will definately be painting the exterior so I am not worried about appearances of the wood too much. It just has to be strong and smooth.