Sunday, July 13, 2008

Portholes, portholes.

So while I wait for the plans to show up, I am browsing the TENS OF THOUSANDS of pages of information out there. I'm just checking into different equipment, tools, materials, hardware, and anything else I think I might eventually need to get. (More a mental price tag for the boat.)

I've been looking for small and affordable portholes. Everything I find is either too big or too expensive. Some of the nice brass portholes are $400 or more! Then I found THIS. Not bad. Simple non-opening round chrome-plated brass portlights. I am thinking about using the one at the top for the Tideway. I believe she'll require six. Two on each side, and two looking forward that are not visible on the profile view.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I think you'll be happy with the products and service from sailboatstuff.com. I bought tons of stuff for my Eun Mara from them and never had a problem.

Good Luck!

Dale
www.alistego.com

Justin Matthews said...

I have spent literally hours pouring over the pages at sailboatstuff.com. Makes me wish my pockets were just a bit deeper!

Justin

Anonymous said...

If you really want to go cheap, Duckworks has some clear plastic ones in the $11 range. Look under 'hardware' in the 'hatches and deck plates' section. Some folks have used them as portlights, and they unscrew and open to make a sort-of porthole as well if you're sailing somewhere hot.